Manager, Data Engineering
Posted on: December 5, 2019
At Blackbaud, we're here to help good take over. We lead uniquely
at the intersection point of technology and social good, providing
cloud software, services, expertise, and data intelligence that
empowers and connects people to drive impact for social good. We
serve the entire social good community, which includes nonprofits,
higher education institutions, K-12 schools, healthcare
organizations, faith communities, arts and cultural organizations,
foundations, companies, and the individual change agents who
support them. With millions of users in 100+ countries, our vision
is to power an Ecosystem of Good-- that builds a better world. Our
customers are passionate about making the world a better place, and
we're inspired by the opportunity to help them raise resources,
deliver programs, manage operations, and understand their
What is this role?Data Engineering at Blackbaud is responsible for
ingestion, transformation and integration of data in Blackbaud's
Data Platform. This scalable and performant big data platform
supports data science, data enrichment, research and data analysis
as well as making data operationally able to be consumed by
Blackbaud's products and services.
The Data Engineering Manager facilitates this by helping their
teams' take on large, complex data problems/initiatives and
eliciting considerable technical influence within Data Engineering
and the Data Intelligence Center of Excellence at Blackbaud. The
Data Engineering Manager has a wide-ranging experience and
extensive knowledge in major parts of our data platform and data
engineering tech stack, serving as strategy and process owner of
significant components of our data architecture. This role provides
high-level guidance, team mentoring, coaching and influencing
technical direction within the Data Engineering teams. They are
also creativity leaders, finding alternatives and new approaches to
difficult problems and application of data and insight.
In addition to the team management responsibilities this role will
help craft the vision for how Blackbaud's Data Strategy helps
nonprofit organizations be more effective raising money and
facilitating their visions.
What will I be doing?
- Develop and direct the strategy for all aspects of Data
- Set, communicate and facilitate technical direction more
broadly for the Data Intelligence Center of Excellence and
collaboratively beyond the Center of Excellence
- Keep current on technology: distributed computing, big data
concepts and architecture.
- Define the tools and pipeline patterns our data engineers use
to transform data and support our data science practice
- Lead teams that design and implement pipelines that support
data ingestion, data movement, transformation, aggregation, machine
learning, data science, and much more.
- Design and develop breakthrough products, services or
technological advancements in the Data Intelligence space that
expand our business
- Work alongside product management to craft technical solutions
to solve customer business problems.
- Set and achieve annual and quarterly Objectives and Key Results
- Hiring the best people that help execute the data engineering
vision within Blackbaud
- Establish recruiting pipeline for new team members through
networking, internships, etc.
- Ensure that your teams are motivated, engaged and excited to do
the work we do.
- Promote inquisitiveness within your teams
- Managing engineering teams work through other managers and
- Own the technical data governance practices and ensures data
sovereignty, privacy, security and regulatory compliance.
- Independently identify and execute projects to improve the
quality of life of engineers at Blackbaud
- Promote internally how data within Blackbaud can help change
- Continuously challenging the status quo of how things have been
done in the past.
- Other duties as assigned
We'd love to hear from you if:
- You have 8+ years of software and/or data engineering
experience (specifically data focused or SaaS based products)
- You have 5+ years of experience managing 6+ person teams
- Strong understanding of Cloud Big Data and Pipeline
- Expert in Big Data design patterns and implementation, as well
as connected domains (real-time streaming, machine learning,
- Experience with Spark/Databricks that include Scala and
- Professional experience enabling Data Science with the proper
data and platform
- Proven expertise in both batch and real-time processing models
- Expertise in areas of data governance, privacy and regulation
and professional experience with architectural approaches to data
- Experience with continuous machine learning development and
- Track record of teams successfully designing/building reliable,
performant, scalable data platforms
- Have experience integrating multiple data sources into a common
set of data assets or common data models
- Professional experience employing asynchronous, loosely coupled
- You are comfortable executing autonomously in the face of
- You possess the growth mindset("the code I just wrote should be
Why you'll want to come work here:
- Our benefits are unmatched. Not only do we offer competitive
salaries, 4 weeks paid time off, tuition reimbursement, and 401K
match, we also provide endless community involvement opportunities
to encourage our employees to give back, through our CSR programs
like gift matching and volunteer for vacation.
- Blackbaud has been named to Forbes America's Best Employers for
Diversity 2019, Forbes America's Best Midsize Employer 2019, and
AnitaB.org's Top Companies for Women Technologists 2018, we are
rapidly growing and offer incredible opportunity for career
- We understand that people thrive in a culture focused on
teamwork and purpose. That's why Blackbaud offers a tremendous
company culture, encouraging open, collaborative working
environments in all of our offices around the world, including;
North America, Australia, the United Kingdom and Costa Rica.
- We have proven that we are one of the best technology companies
to work for. Blackbaud has been ranked Best Technology Company in
Charleston, SC for the fourth year in a row, and ranked by BuiltIn
Austin as one of the Best Places to Work in Austin, TX.
Stay up to date on everything Blackbaud, follow us on Linkedin,
Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and YouTube
Blackbaud is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is
committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive work environment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental
disability, age, or veteran status or any other basis protected by
federal, state, or local law.
To all recruitment agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency
resumes and are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited
Keywords: Blackbaud, Charleston , Manager, Data Engineering, Engineering , Charleston, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!