Structural Bridge Engineer
Company: System One
Posted on: September 19, 2023
Charleston/Columbia/Greenville South -Carolina and
Raleigh/Charlotte North Carolina offices has immediate openings for
a Structural/Bridge Engineers (see below for location information).
The positions are open to entry level engineers up through 8 years
of experience. We???re looking for new team members to help us
perform structural design, rehabilitation, and inspection of
bridges and tunnels for highway and railway projects. Other tasks
may include preparation of load ratings, construction documents,
specifications, and estimates. In addition, duties may include
construction inspection services. Day to day assignments and
technical guidance will be provided by current staff Project
Managers. Assignments may involve travel within the continental
- Perform structural bridge design utilizing current AASHTO or
AREMA design standards. Calculate structural quantities.
- Document and organize design calculations following our Quality
- Perform detailed checking of calculations and design drawings
produced by others
- Assist with CADD drawing development and production
- Research design options and document findings for Senior
- May perform bridge inspections for highway and railway bridges
- May be asked to participate in non-design engineering
activities such as construction inspection and materials testing,
surveying, and field data collection.
- Receives instructions from Project Manager or Senior Project
Engineers as to the general results expected.
- Responsible for accuracy of engineering design, reports, load
ratings, and plans, quality presentation, thoroughness and
follow-through, and efficient conformance to budgets, schedules,
and company standards.
- Maintains project database by writing computer programs;
entering and backing up data.
- Keeps Senior Project Manager informed of workload and any
changes in project schedule or scope or additional services.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending
educational workshops; reviewing professional publications;
establishing personal networks; participating in professional
- Assists others in analyzing information and data to perform
- Be willing to travel within the continental United States.
Qualifications What you bring to our firm:
- Bachelor???s degree in civil and/or structural engineering with
an emphasis in structures from an ABET-accredited university or
- At least 4 years experience in reading plans and shop drawings,
and evaluating contractor compliance with construction plans and
- Registration as a licensed Professional Engineer in South
Carolina or North Carolina
- Structural engineering background, knowledge of Microstation,
AutoCAD, and experience with structural engineering design
drawings, specifications and cost estimates.
- Team oriented engineer with strong communication skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, etc.), and
experience with engineering design packages such as AutoCAD
(required), MicroStation (desirable), AASHTO BrR. Staad.Pro,
MathCAD, LUSAS and/or other structural analysis software
- Able and willing to travel within the continental United
- Physically capable of performing field work including working
at heights, carrying ladders and gear, working in adverse weather
- Valid Driver???s License.
- Actively engages multiple perspectives when solving problems,
seeks to learn from peers, and encourages reciprocal learning among
- Actively advocates for full inclusion in the workplace,
fostering an environment that welcomes diversity and values equity
for all employees, partners, clients, and the communities that we
serves. What we???d prefer for you to bring to our firm:
- Experience with Bentley Open Bridge Modeler
- Strong background in the development of Type Study Reports and
design of bridges for SCDOT, NCDOT, or Class I Railroads and other
local transportation agencies.
- Familiarity with structural/bridge design process using any or
all of the following: AASHTO LRFD Bridge Design Specifications
- AREMA Manual for Railway Engineering
- SCDOT Bridge Design Manual
- NCDOT SMU Design Manual
- Intimate experience with Microsoft Excel including basic
- Completion of the following: NHI -Safety Inspection of
In-Service Bridges (FHWA-NHI-130055), NHI Fracture Critical
Inspection Techniques for Steel Bridges (FHWA-NHI-130078). Work
- The work environment characteristics and physical demands
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions, depending on field assignments.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is
occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and outside weather
conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually
moderate, however, construction and field assignments can be severe
(i.e. Airport noise, inside factories, construction equipment, jack
- The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, talk or
hear, and drive a car. The employee is occasionally required to
reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel,
crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up
to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to
Keywords: System One, Charleston , Structural Bridge Engineer, Engineering , Charleston, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!