Surgical First Assistant
Company: Hired by Matrix
Posted on: January 26, 2023
If you want more than just an assignment and to work with an
organization that values your contribution to our growth AND has
deployed a proprietary Consultant Appreciation Program (CAP) to
continue to support your job search efforts in the
future------..Hired by Matrix could be just what you need. We are a
distributed organization working with some of the premier Fortune
500 organizations across the US in multiple verticals and
disciplines. If you embrace positive culture, a dynamic teaming
approach, robust benefits, 401k matching, paid time off, and want
more than just your next assignment------..we are a great
Hired by Matrix has been providing talent solutions to help
organizations enhance team capacity for decades. As a full-service
search firm, we have partnered with companies across industries,
including Financial Services, Fintech, Consumer Goods and Services,
Security and Logistics, Pharmaceutical / Biotech, Technology,
Automotive, Engineering, and Healthcare.
- Assist the surgeon during surgery.
- Ensure the availability and functioning of surgical equipment
used in surgical procedures.
- Transport patient to and from operating room, preps patient
prior to surgery, serves as first or second assistant to the
surgeon during the surgical procedure.
- Serve as first or second assistant during routine or emergency
First Assistant duties include:
- Placing sutures, operating staplers, opening and closing
incisions at the direction of the surgeon with the surgeon present,
cauterizing vessels, placing drains, dressings and other activities
as directed by the primary surgeon.
Second Assistant duties include:
- Positioning and prepping the patient, aspirating and sponging
blood and fluids, wound and organ retraction, tying knots, cutting
sutures and any other activity as directed by the primary surgeon.
- Ensure the operating room has all the equipment required for
specific procedure and obtains x-rays and medical records for the
- Ensure the work environment is free of unsafe conditions,
clutter and practices.
- Evaluates work conditions to ensure safe practices, infection
control policies and procedures and life and fire safety programs
are met. 15%
- Transport patient to the operating room with the assistance of
the circulating nurse or the anesthesiologist. Perform surgical
preps including draping patient as appropriate for surgical
- Harvest saphenous vein for performance of CABG at the direction
of the primary surgeon and assist with the placement of
extracorporeal circulation. 10%
- Assure all patient charges are tracked and accounted for
- Maintain service records and reports for administrative and
regulatory purposes and monitor inventory levels and supply usage
to ensure efficient and cost effective utilization of resources.
- Anticipates/plans for regulatory changes and space needs
affecting the service. Identifies need for program expansion and
development to improve services to customers (patients, physicians
and community. 10%
- Performs other job duties and responsibilities as required.
- Extensive knowledge of the clinical aspects of
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology.
- Skilled in preparing and maintaining effective working
relationships with patients, medical staff and co-workers.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency
- Knowledgeable in basic nursing care, as well as scope and
responsibility of Advanced Practice Nurse.
- Knowledge of:
- the professional nursing theory and practice to give and
evaluate patient care.
- organizational policies and procedures to administer patient
- common safety hazards and precautions to establish a safe work
- Skilled in:
- applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques
of professional nursing to provide on-going patient care.
- identifying problems and recommending solutions.
- preparing and maintaining records and writing reports.
- establishing and maintaining effective working relationships
with patients, hospital, medical staff and the public.
- Ability to:
- analyze situations and apply critical thinking.
- communicate clearly.
- react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
Please submit your resume for consideration. Once submitted, feel
free to contact Alisha at 678-889-6597 -for additional
Approx. Duration: 3 months
About Hired by Matrix
Hired by Matrix, Inc. founded in 1986, is a certified Woman-Owned
Business Enterprise (WBE) dedicated to providing the highest
quality of job opportunities to our candidates and staffing
services to our clients. We are a full-service staffing firm with
experience recruiting and delivering for IT, Accounting & Finance,
Administrative & Clerical, Clinical & Scientific, and Marketing
disciplines. Our long history in the staffing industry and
dedication to excellence are the key differentiators that have
fueled our success for over 30 years.
Hired by Matrix offers our contract professionals competitive
salaries, benefits after 60 days and a 401k option with a company
match after one year.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We work hard to match our candidates with the right career
opportunities. Let us find you a #MatrixMatch so you can reach your
Connect with us on LinkedIn and see how we can impact your
Hired by Matrix Career Center:
Keywords: Hired by Matrix, Charleston , Surgical First Assistant, Healthcare , Charleston, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!