Ports Field Service Engineer
Company: ABB LTD
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Ports Field Service Engineer
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is
energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a
more productive, sustainable future. At ABB, we have the clear goal
of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender,
LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are
embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually
and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual
ABB Marine & Ports is transforming the industry through
electrical, digital and connected solutions. Our innovative
technologies are redefining the future, bringing new levels of
reliability, efficiency and sustainability to shipping while making
our ports and terminals safer, greener and more productive. Working
with customers to ensure our products and systems provide maximum
performance, our Service teams solve a wide variety of key
industrial challenges. We increase productivity and reliability,
lengthen product life span and improve safety. Critically, we also
reduce costs, energy consumption and emissions. The role reports to
the Manager Port Service. As a Ports Field Service Engineer (FSE),
you will be responsible for planning and executing, with minimal
professional guidance, complex technical field assignments
involving the installation, modification, test, inspection or
repair of company products and equipment. The FSE may also
coordinate work with other groups to ensure meeting customer
commitments. Since the FSE is often the one who interacts with the
customer's operations people, they may also recommend measures to
improve operations and customer service.
- General: Follows ABB policies and business ethics.
- Works in accordance with ABB procedures using applicable
- Submits job paperwork in a timely fashion immediately following
the applicable job assignment.
- Technical: Works independently to install, modify, test,
repair, or inspect company products and equipment including, but
not limited to: PLCs, Drives, HMIs, automation, rotating machinery,
low voltage and medium voltage circuit breakers, transformers,
switchgear, and/or protection relays - depending on the engineer's
area of knowledge and training.
- Performs or coordinates complex and diverse engineering
activities associated with field projects.
- Interprets technical drawings and schematics and makes changes
as necessary in the field to reflect work carried out on site.
- Increases product and technical knowledge through factory or
third party training, technical manuals, and conventional or
- Troubleshoot and repair equipment, applying personal knowledge
- Provides technical advice to customers on-site and
- Works closely with project managers to coordinate site
activity. Assume the role of site manager on some smaller
- Provides leadership in the assembly and operation of lab and
field service equipment.
- Records, compiles, and reduces data for analysis and assists in
the subsequent assessment and reporting.
- Leads assigned field services - responsible for planning,
analysis, and reporting of projects ranging in complexity from
simple to advanced.
- Assumes the role of a mentor or an advisor to less experienced
company personnel and customers.
- Ensures safety and quality in the field.
- Projects: Represent the company in conferences and meetings
- Prepares or provides input for technical documents such as
specifications, quotations, procedures, or technical reports.
- Reports opportunities and problems to management.
- Prepares timesheets, service reports, expense reports and other
documents immediately following the work assignment.
- Sales: Promotes to customers, ways to optimize their operations
or make general improvements.
- Seeks other opportunities to promote customer satisfaction and
foster harmonious business relations.
- Assists the business development unit with technical knowledge
for generating quotations and proposals.
- Leadership and personal characteristics: Good sense of urgency
to Customer needs / Good Customer relations.
- Displays integrity and professional attitude.
- Trustworthy and efficient.
- Good leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Possesses good communication skills.
- Five or more years experience in drives and PLC/process control
systems. Familiarity with motors and Medium Voltage (MV) power
- Bachelor Degree in engineering or other technical field.
- Alternately a special combination of education and experience
and/or demonstrated accomplishments.
- Familiarity with port/container crane work environment and
- Ability to obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Card
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to
discover more about ABB, take another look at our website
www.abb.com. Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at
ABB ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative
Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion,
sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation,
gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave
status, or protected veterans status. For more information
regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the
following websites: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer,
applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a
particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at
1-888-694-7762. Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a
disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable
or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a
result of your disability. You may request reasonable
accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at
1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes
and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Keywords: ABB LTD, Charleston , Ports Field Service Engineer, Other , Charleston, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!