Company: One80 Place
Posted on: September 23, 2022
The Cook/Kitchen Assistant takes responsibility for preparing
and ensuring smooth meal service in the Community Kitchen. This
includes determining what type of meal is being served, prepping
and cooking the meal (100+ meals), serving the meal (sometimes with
a co-worker, trainee or volunteer) and post meal clean up. We serve
around 60 meals during breakfast, lunch and dinner on a serving
line. We also prepare about 50 to-go meals for our community
1. Experience in commercial, institutional, or buffet food
2. Ability to work both independently and as an active team
3. Excellent interpersonal, oral, written communication and
4. Maturity and sensitivity to cultural and individual differences
of the homeless population.
5. Ability to maintain professional demeanor while exercising
judgment and discretion in work.
6. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
7. Ability to read and interpret documents such as operating and
maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, recipes, menus,
warning labels, packing slips and supply orders.
8. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds including heavy
9. Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
10. Flexibility in scheduling.
11. Commitment to the mission, values, and goals of One80
12. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to respond
calmly and effectively to changing environments.
13. Ability to work cooperatively with staff, volunteers and
clients performing essential functions.
1. Complete tasks assigned by the Community Kitchen Director,
Director of Training, or other supervisory staff.
2. Execute meal service with little to no supervision, use your own
creative freedom to decide menus.
3. Prepare a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables, and
other food items in ovens, grills, fryers, steamers, and other
4. Utilize FIFO system to assist with unloading the food rescue
5. Assist with the cleaning and organization of the kitchen and
6. Provide support to the Culinary Job Training Program as needed
(this includes teaching students kitchen skills, how to read and
make recipes, how to use kitchen equipment, providing support and
7. Contribute to a positive working environment and work
collaboratively with all staff, volunteers, and clients.
8. Be flexible in scheduling to meet the needs of the
9. Follow food safety and sanitation rules and guidelines.
10. Other projects and duties as needed.
Physical, Environmental and Sensory Demands:
1. Sound mental reasoning.
2. Excellent organizational and time management abilities.
3. Superior communication skills, verbal and written.
4. Ability to relate effectively to diverse individuals.
5. Corrective vision and hearing to normal range.
6. Ability to move between service locations.
7. Ability to lift 50 pounds and to assist physically disabled
clients with basic functions.
8. Possible exposure to communicable diseases, vicarious trauma,
and irregular hours. PI191084967
Keywords: One80 Place, Charleston , Cook/Kitchen Assistant, Other , Charleston, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!