Environmental, Health & Safety Director
Company: Valdez International Corporation
Location: North Charleston
Posted on: February 23, 2021
4902 Banco Road
North Charleston, SC--29418 Banks Construction Company
Environmental, Health & Safety Director
North Charleston, SC 29418
Banks Construction Company--is a third generation heavy highway
contractor, servicing the Lowcountry of SC. Headquartered in North
Charleston, with asphalt plants in both North Charleston and
Summerville, Banks is deeply rooted in the community and is
currently celebrating over 70 years in business. Company Offered
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Disability Insurance
- Life Insurance
- 401K with company match
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Vacation and Holiday pay We are looking for a passionate
change-maker that is driven to implement world class construction
environmental, health & safety initiatives with great partners
across our business. This senior level position will lead the
development, implementation and continuous improvement of a
comprehensive EHS program supporting all areas of our business
including construction project sites, transportation, asphalt
plants, equipment and maintenance shop, logistics and the corporate
office. As a member of the management team, this position is
primarily responsible for driving training, education and
compliance with all EHS requirements including environmental
remediation, industrial hygiene, disaster response, site specific
plans, and the safe operations of all equipment and fleet as
defined by company standards, regulatory and contractual
obligations. This position will oversee loss prevention for
concurrent multiple small, medium and large size projects
encompassing a number of subcontractors. Must have corporate
H&S experience within the construction and environmental
remediation field and have a Certified Safety Professionals (CSP)
certification to qualify for this position.-- Responsibilities:
- Being the Subject Matter Expert on all Health, Safety and
Environmental regulatory matters, provide leadership, coaching and
support to all employees, supervisors and managers across the
- Development, implementation and oversite of project
site-specific risk mitigation plans, policies and procedures within
corporate guidelines for all projects and locations.
- Conducts monthly Safety and Environmental - Regulatory audits
in order to evaluate compliance, identify areas for improvement,
potential loss and mitigate risk; communicates audit results
directly to the department leaders and management team.
- Responsible to ensure plant activities are being conducted
under Regulatory compliance.
- Oversee all EHS training initiatives, develop & facilitate
health and safety training for Company staff, subcontractors, and
any parties required to participate to ensure achievement of
exceptional health & safety performance.
- Leader of the Accident Investigation team, utilizing root cause
analysis or similar techniques to prevent repeat of similar
- Administration, documentation and proper filing of OSHA's
Record keeping Standards 29CFR1904, Accident Reports, 300 Log &
Form 301, as well as other Regulatory and Safety Compliance
- Work closely with HR team in employee investigation,
coordination and communication with occupational health clinic,
nurse case managers and insurance carrier representative concerning
accidents, incidents, medical restrictions and legal matters.
- Prepare and/or approve Accident Prevention Plans (APP) and
oversee the completion of Activity Hazard Analysis (AHA)
preparation and acceptance. Provide oversight to subcontractors,
clients, and project team members to ensure that project activities
are completed according to applicable APP(s).
- Author health and safety related documentation (reports, logs,
records, and safety dashboard), completing required information for
daily reports and client communications in a timely and accurate
- Ensure that deficiencies are corrected in a timely manner and
to acceptable measures and standards.
- Represent the Company in a positive and professional manner in
client and regulatory agency interactions, serving as the primary
point of contact for site health & safety Requirements
- A Bachelor's degree in Safety Engineering, Construction
Management, Environmental Health & Safety or related field is
- Certified Safety Professionals - CSP (MUST be a CSP)--
- Construction industry experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of progressive work experience in a
position directly related to health and safety to include regional
or corporate level management.
- The ability to communicate in written and oral formats with
diplomacy and tact.
- An aptitude for exercising independent thinking and
- Demonstrated success in teaching others health and safety
concepts and requirements.
- Experience managing a team of direct reports.
- Skilled in leading others without formal reporting
- Competent in using Microsoft Office products, email systems,
- Must be open to a flexible schedule to provide appropriate
coverage for the business.
- Must be able to safely lift, push and pull up to 50 lbs and be
exposed to varying weather conditions and temperatures.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be
made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. For information about the great benefits of a
career in the Asphalt Industry in South Carolina please go to the
following website: Equal Opportunity Employer, including disabled
Keywords: Valdez International Corporation, Charleston , Environmental, Health & Safety Director, Professions , North Charleston, South Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!